Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Defiled Offerings

So, what is a defiled offering? Or, more specifically, how were my offerings defiled?

Well, in Malachi 1 the offerings are the stolen, lame and sick of the animals of the people - in other words, they are 'blemished' and in direct opposition to God's requirements for sacrifices as laid out in the law as Moses gave it to them. Just as bad as the actual offerings (and the fact that the priests accepted them) was the attitude with which they were given. Malachi 1:12-13 tells us the heart of those sacrificing:

"But you profane it, in that you say, ‘The table of the LORD is defiled; and its fruit, its food, is contemptible.’ You also say, ‘Oh, what a weariness!’ and you sneer at it, says the LORD of hosts. 'And you bring the stolen, the lame, and the sick; Thus you bring an offering! Should I accept this from your hand?' says the LORD."

My sacrifices were no sacrifice at all. The desires underlying my piety were completely to get something from God for my actions and receive the payoff (a new job) that I determined was due. My seeking was to fill my own belly rather than to seek God and His righteousness.

Now, was all the stuff I mentioned in the last entry bad stuff to do? I have to say, "No." All of the things I mentioned (prayer, personal and family devotions, reading of the Word and spiritual works) are good and necessary things to do. Do them! However, make sure you put aside your sinful desire to get paid for your own righteousness in doing them. Connected to this, also we must ask whether it is a bad thing for me to want a job? Again, I must answer in the negative. As Paul writes in 1 Timothy 5:8:

"But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever"

Again, though, this good thing was defiled by the bad heart that desired it in pride.

So, looking back, I deserved chastisement. Any of us who have children (or, who were children) might see that whether we deserve chastisement or not, it is often challenging to accept it gracefully and with a right heart. I had a bad view of my discipline and an anger toward God because of it until His Spirit worked in me to see my sin and led me to the truth through a dear brother who was feeling the rod of correction on his own back.

He brought me to Hebrews...

No comments:

Post a Comment